Last week we went to Meijer Gardens for a County Fair program, and sat in on a cooking demonstration. The cook was very sad to report that Michigan Peaches had not quite come in yet, so he had to use Georgia peaches for the pie he was making. I am not sure what his peach source is, but the place I get my peaches from was ready to roll.
I spent all afternoon Thursday canning my fool head off and if you’ve ever canned peaches you know the yield ratio is about 1 truckload of fresh peaches: 8 quart jars of canned peaches. Pits and skins are everywhere, and then your husband yells at you because every year you forget to not put the pits in the compost pile because they do not break down.
For the remainder of peach season, I will be dealing with much smaller quantities, such as are found in this absolutely delicious pie. Also, the pits will be disposed of properly.
Gingered Peach Pie With Glazed Pecans
Gingered Peach Medium Set Filling
- 8 whole peaches
- 3 cups + 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 6 cups + 1/3 cup water, divided
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 pie crust, baked (either home-made or store bought; I won’t tell)
- Peel, cut in half, and pit peaches.
- In a large pot mix the 6 cups of water, 3 cups of sugar, and ginger (peeled and thinly sliced) and bring to a boil.
- Add all peaches and seal with a piece of parchment paper cut to fit the put. Keep pushing down on it until it submerges and stays under water.
- Return to a boil for 1 minute and turn off heat. Let pot sit out until it has reached room temperature.
- When peaches are back at room temp, slice as desired and reserve 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- Mix remaining 1/3 cup water and 1/4 cup corn starch and set aside.
- Add 3/4 cup sugar to reserved liquid and bring to a boil in sauce pan.
- When boiling, quickly whisk in water/cornstarch solution and let boil 2-4 minutes until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Pour immediately over sliced peaches and let set in pie crust; preferable set out at room temperature instead of refrigerated.
- 1 cup egg whites
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups pecan halves
- Mix sugar and flour together.
- Beat egg white until foamy; slowly beat in the sugar/flour mixture.
- Add salt and vanilla, then fold in pecans.
- Transfer pecans to a greased baking pan and bake at 250 degrees for about 45 minutes.
When pecans and pie have cooled, place pecans on top of pie and enjoy!
Share a recipe with us! This weekly feature is co-hosted by BigBinder and Sarah’s Deals. Each blog will host it’s own recipe, but share a common linky. The co-hostesses links will appear at the top of the list and you are welcome to join in.
Please link to your ACTUAL POST and not just your home page so people can find it easier. Also please put the recipe title in parentheses to help out the other readers. Old recipe posts are fine. While we appreciate a link back or the addition of the button above, it is NOT required. Thank you for participating!